Robert Briant is a Partner and Head of the Corporate department in the British Virgin Islands office of Conyers Dill & Pearman. Robert joined Conyers in 1994 and is highly regarded for his extensive experience in all aspects of corporate and commercial law.
Robert is considered one of the most senior corporate lawyers in the BVI and focuses on mergers and acquisitions, joint venture companies and investment vehicles. He provides specialist advice to hedge funds and private equity funds, as well as advising on a broad range of financing transactions. His clients include Diageo, Burger King, the Virgin Group, Denham Capital, Bank of America, Morgan Stanley, JP Morgan, Commerzbank and others.
Robert is a member of BVI Finance Limited’s Board of Directors, a public/private partnership created to develop further BVIs financial services industry. He also sits on the Securities, Investment Business and Mutual Funds Advisory Committee and is also a member of the Joint Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Advisory Committee of the BVI. Robert was also responsible for forming and chairs a consortium of the largest law firms in the BVI to make recommendations to Government on issues affecting financial services in the BVI. He is also regular contributor to the media on matters of BVI law.
Robert is consistently recognized in the top tier in Chambers Global, Legal 500 and IFLR1000. Robert holds a BA from McGill University, an LLB from University of Toronto and an LLM from Cambridge University.
- Advised Weatherford International Ltd. on the sale of equity interest in Borets International Limited.
- Acted for Compañía Española de Petróleos, S.A.U. and Strategic Resources (Global) Limited in connection with their recent acquisition of Coastal Energy Company.
- Advised an international client in connection with issues arising out of the shareholders agreements.
- Advised on the export receivables financing by a syndicate of banks.
- Advised Burger King in its US$1.4 billion business combination with Justice Holdings Limited.
- Corporate & Securities Law Associate, Stikeman Elliott, Toronto (with postings in Budapest and Vancouver)
- Cambridge University, LLM, 1993
- University of Toronto, LLB, 1988
- McGill University, BA (Hons) Economics & Finance, 1985
- British Virgin Islands, Solicitor, 2000
- England & Wales, Solicitor, 2000
- Bermuda, Solicitor and Barrister, 1995
- Ontario, Solicitor and Barrister, 1990
- Recognised in the 2018 edition (and since 2011) of Who's Who Legal (private funds)
- Recognised in the 2018 edition (and since 2010) of IFLR1000 (investment funds, financial and corporate)
- Recognised in the 2018 edition (and since 2010) of Legal 500 Caribbean (corporate and commercial)
- Recognised in the 2018 edition of Legal 500 Caribbean (banking, finance and capital markets)
- Recognised in the 2017 edition (and since 2010) of Chambers Global (corporate and finance - Band 1)
- Recognised in the 2015 edition (and since 2014) of Who's Who Legal (mergers & acquisitions)
- Recognised in the 2015 edition of Who's Who Legal (banking)
- Recognised in the 2015 edition of Legal Media Groups' Expert Guides (investment funds)