Richard Hall is a Partner in the Hong Kong office of Conyers Dill & Pearman. Richard joined Conyers in 2006.
Richard's practice includes all aspects of corporate law with specialist expertise in corporate finance, including private equity investments and pre-IPO financings, initial public offers and listings of shares of BVI, Cayman and Bermuda companies on stock exchanges globally, including Hong Kong, Korea, London and the United States of America, mergers and acquisitions, takeovers and privatisations (including by way of statutory merger and scheme of arrangement), restructuring exercises and private equity investment.
Richard acts for corporates, underwriters, sponsors, shareholders or investors in respect of the Bermuda, BVI and Cayman aspects of their transactions globally. Whilst Richard’s IPO practice covers clients across all industry areas and geographic locations, the majority of such public offers, listing and admissions are in respect of companies headquartered in Hong Kong and with business and operations in Hong Kong and/or the People’s Republic of China and/or other parts of the Asia-Pacific region.
Richard acted as Cayman and BVI counsel on the listing of the share stapled units of HKT Limited, the first Business Trust to be successfully listed on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited, and subsequently has acted for every other Business Trust that has been successfully listed on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited.
- Providing Cayman and BVI legal advice in respect of the global offering of share stapled units jointly issued by HK Electric Investments, a HK trust, and HK Electric Investments Limited, a Cayman incorporated entity, and their listing on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited. The offering is for units in only the third ever Business Trust listed in Hong Kong, and was the third largest ever IPO on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Providing Cayman and BVI legal advice to China Metal Resources Utilization Limited in respect of the global offering of shares issued by the company, a Cayman incorporated entity, and its listing on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited. The Company is the successor to Gushan Environmental Energy Limited (Gushan), a Cayman incorporated company for which Richard has acted since its incorporation in 2006. Conyers acted on the listing of Gushan on the NYSE in 2008, its privatization by way of merger under the Cayman merger regime in 2012 and, following the distribution of the assets held by Gushan to the Company, the Company’s successful listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in 2014. We understand that this is the first successful re-listing on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange of assets of a company formerly listed on the NYSE and privatised by way of merger under the Cayman merger regime.
- Providing BVI and Cayman legal advice in relation to the establishment of a joint venture (Joint Venture) between China Resources Enterprise, Limited (CRE) and Tesco Plc (Tesco) and their respective group companies to create a multi-format retailer in China. The Joint Venture involves, inter alia (1) Tesco disposing of, and Gain Land Limited, a BVI company and a wholly-owned subsidiary of CRE (Gain Land), acquiring the entire issued share capital of Ting Cao (C.I.) Holdings Corporation, a Cayman company and an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Tesco (Injection); (2) Gain Land issuing new shares to Cheshunt Holdings Guernsey Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Tesco (Subscriber) so that Ondereel Ltd, a BVI company and a wholly-owned subsidiary of CRE, and the Subscriber were interested in the Joint Venture as to 80% and 20% respectively; (3) certain option grants; and (4) the entering of an intellectual property and know-how agreement.
- Providing Cayman legal advice to HKT Group Holdings Limited as the guarantor in respect of the bilateral facilities by each of the 11 participating banks to Hong Kong Telecommunications (HKT) Limited as the borrower in May 2014. The aggregate amount of the bilateral facilities was HK$11,701,000,000.
- Richards Butler, Hong Kong (as associate and partner)
- Articles, Richards Butler, London
- College of Law Chester, 1995
- University College London, 1993
- Eastern Caribbean Supreme Court (British Virgin Islands), Solicitor, 2012
- Bermuda, Registered Associate, 2005
- Hong Kong, 1998 (not currently practising)
- England & Wales, 1997 (not currently practising)
- Recognised in the 2018 edition (and since 2014) of IFLR1000
- Recognised in the 2018 edition (and since 2013) of Legal 500 Asia-Pacific (offshore)
- Recognised in the 2017 edition (and 2016) of Chambers Asia-Pacific (offshore)