Paul Nystrom practices Corporate and Commercial law in the Bermuda office of Conyers Dill & Pearman Limited. During his 15-year career, Paul has developed a reputation for providing advice and guidance that helps companies grow.
His practice spans a broad range of sophisticated finance and capital market transactions with an emphasis on debt and equity offerings, banking and financial services, structured and project finance, secured lending, mergers and acquisitions and reorganizations. Paul has significant experience advising on aviation and ship finance, particularly in the Norwegian arena. In addition, Paul has an active general corporate practice, including advising on the establishment of companies in Bermuda, and is routinely instructed by a large number of leading international banks, financial institutions, public companies, private equity firms and onshore law firms.
With a wide-ranging practice that crosses borders into Latin America, Europe and Asia, Paul takes a world view and brings an increasingly recognised expertise to his clients. He is a valuable counsel to his clients and helps companies from the start-up phase to growth and exit strategies.
- Advised Mohamed Al-Fayed and his related group of companies on the Bermuda law aspects of the sale of Fulham Football Club to Shahid Khan, the CEO of Flex-N-Gate Group and owner of the Jacksonville Jaguars of the National Football League in the United States.
- Advised Nordea Bank Finland plc as agent in connection with Seadrill Ltd.’s (NYSE: SDRL) $1.5 billion secured financing.
- Regularly acting as Bermuda counsel to the Odfjell group of companies, a large Norwegian shipping group, of which, Odfjell Drilling Ltd., is listed on the Oslo Stock Exchange.
- Provided Bermuda law advice to Barclays Capital Inc., Citigroup Global Markets Inc. and Wells Fargo Securities, LLC (as representatives of the initial purchasers) in connection with the offering by Energy XXI (Bermuda) Limited, a Bermuda exempted company listed on NASDAQ and AIM, of US$400 million aggregate principal amount of 3.0% Senior Convertible Notes due 2018.
- Acted as Bermuda counsel on an aircraft financing transaction involving the acquisition, lease and Bermuda registration of eight Boeing B777-300 aircraft owned by an orphan purpose trust structure and leased to Aeroflot Airlines.
- Associate, Mayer Brown LLP, New York
- Associate, Shearman & Sterling LPP, New York and Hong Kong
- Trainee Solicitor, Linklaters LLP, London and New York
- Chester College of Law, Diploma in Legal Practice (Commendation), 1994
- New College, University of Oxford, Jurisprudence (Law), 1993
- Bermuda, Attorney-at-Law, 2008
- Cayman Islands, Attorney-at-Law, 2006
- New York, Attorney-at-Law, 1998
- England & Wales, Solicitor, 1997 (not currently practising)