Gene DaCosta is a Partner in the Corporate department in the Cayman Islands office of Conyers Dill & Pearman. Gene joined Conyers in 2003. His practice covers all aspects of corporate and commercial law, with extensive expertise on advising on all areas of investment funds including regulated, licensed, exempted and private equity funds. Additionally, he assists with the restructuring and/or the winding down of distressed funds.
Gene also specialises in structured finance with an emphasis on both commercial and private aircraft and ship financing, including loans, leasing, mortgages, as well as aircraft and vessel registration. He is a member of the Cayman Islands Maritime Sector Consultative Committee and is also a member of the Health Insurance Commission Board of Directors.
He has authored various articles in the Cayman Financial Review, Hedge Fund Review and INSOL.
- Assisting with Portolan Capital Management LLC with the set up and structuring of master/feeder funds.
- Advising Amstar Global Partners on the structuring and set-up of various private equity funds which invest in global real estate and emerging markets.
- Assisting Rubicon Offshore International with the reflagging of a private vessel.
- Advising AWAS on aircraft financing structures for a series of aircraft deliveries and corporate restructuring.
- Assisting with a major restructuring involving entities in Hong Kong, BVI, Cayman and Barbados.
- Advising on the set-up, structuring and initial round of financing with respect to the establishment of a new entity, Global Restaurant Group.
- Senior Associate, Walkers, Cayman Islands
- University of Liverpool, LLB, 1993
- Cayman Islands, Attorney-at-Law, 1993