Dennis Ryan joined Conyers in 2007 as an attorney in the Firm's Cayman Islands office and transferred to the Firm's Dubai office in 2009.
With over 27 years of experience in corporate transactional matters, private client and trusts, Dennis’s practice involves all aspects of corporate and commercial law, with a particular emphasis on conventional and Islamic banking and finance transactions involving offshore security arrangements. He has advised widely on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity financing, and insolvency and restructuring matters.
Dennis has particular expertise with respect to banking and finance matters, advising clients generally on Cayman Islands and BVI trust matters and the formation of private trust companies and related structures for high net worth and ultra-high net worth individuals and families in succession, estate planning and asset protection contexts.
In addition, Dennis oversees the corporate administrative services for the Cayman Islands, the British Virgin Islands, Bermuda and DIFC companies from Conyers' office in Dubai.
Dennis also frequently authors articles on matters of Cayman Islands law, including Islamic finance, funds and trust matters, and has been published in journals including Cayman Financial Review, India Business Law Journal, Asian Counsel, Islamic Finance News and Hedgeweek.
- Represented Adeptio Holdings in relation to its US$2.4 billion acquisition of Americana Group
- Represented Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank in relation to the AED1 billion loan facility to North Coast Capital Holdings Limited
- Acted for Omniyat Group, Drake & Scull and Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank in connection with a private placement to finance, in part, a luxury residential project on the Palm Jumeirah.
- Advised the committee of secured financiers in connection with matters relating to the restructuring of Dubai Holding Investment Group US$10 billion.
- Acted for Emirates NBD Bank PJSC on security matters in connection with DIFC Investments LLC’s US$1.035 billion syndicated facilities.
- Advised HM MOS International Limited on the US$200 million acquisition of Millennium Offshore Services Superholdings, LLC.
- Associate, Conyers Dill & Pearman, Cayman Islands, 2007 - 2009
- General Counsel, Quizno’s Canada
- Partner and Chair of the National Forestry Practice Group, Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP
- General Counsel, Royal Oak Mines
- Past Chairman, Forestry Sector, British Columbia Chamber of Commerce
- Partner, McMillan LLP
- Adjunct professor of Business and Company Law, University College of the Cayman Islands
- University of Alberta, LLB, 1990
- University of Ottawa, M.Ed. (Magna Cum Laude), 1987
- University of Alberta, B.Ed. (With Distinction), 1982
- University of Alberta, B.A., 1976
- Bermuda, Registered Associate, 2011
- Dubai, Legal Consultant, 2009
- Cayman Islands, Attorney-At-Law, 2007
- Province of British Columbia, Barrister and Solicitor, 1993
- Province of Alberta, Barrister and Solicitor, 1990 (not currently practising)
- Recognised in the 2017 edition (and since 2011) of Chambers Global (offshore law)
- Recognised in the 2017 edition of Who's Who Legal (private client)
- IFLR (International Financial Law Review) - 2014 Middle East Awards: Restructuring Deal of the Year - Dubai Holding Investment Group