Delia McMahon is an Attorney in the Cayman Islands office of Conyers Dill & Pearman. Delia joined Conyers in October 2018.
Prior to joining Conyers, Delia practiced as a lawyer in Ireland for over 11 years with one of Ireland’s premier law firms before moving offshore to work during the past three years with another leading offshore law firm, and also as in-house legal counsel in the Cayman Islands. She has also authored several published articles, lectured, tutored and presented on developments in corporate, commercial litigation, liquidation, fraud tracing, and regulatory topics.
Delia’s clients have included financial institutions, corporations, partnerships, high net worth individuals, insolvency practitioners, directors, shareholders, fund investors and creditors. She has extensive experience specialising in multi-jurisdictional contentious and non-contentious commercial issues, cross border insolvencies, asset tracing, enforcement and regulatory compliance matters. Her current practice includes advising clients on a broad spectrum of commercial, litigation, insolvency, insurance and regulatory matters.
Delia has been a panel speaker on regulatory issues in the Cayman Islands. She also previously lectured and tutored on a variety of commercial litigation, corporate restructuring and insolvency law matters at the Law School at the Law Society of Ireland and was co-author of the incorporated Law Society of Ireland’s Business Law Manual.
- Ahmad Hamad Algosaibi & Brothers Company (“AHAB”) -v- Saad Investments Company Limited (In Official Liquidation) & Others: Acting on behalf of AHAB in the largest longest running trial and highest value case yet to be litigated in the Cayman Islands Grand Court (pursuing a claim of over US$6 billion in the Cayman Islands).
- The International Banking Corporation BSC (In Administration) -v- AHAB: Advising AHAB in proceedings which clarified the approach of the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands to third-party requests for access to documentation and court transcripts deployed at trial.
- Kingate Global Fund (In Liquidation) & Kingate Euro Fund (In Liquidation) (together the Kingate Funds): Advising the joint liquidators of in conjunction with US legal counsel in defending claw-back of the Madoff affected Kingate Funds.
- Advised a substantial number of liquidators, receivers and examiners on many complex and high value cross-border disputes.
- Advised on a number of high value and time sensitive regulatory matters.
- Legal Consultant, Kalo Advisors (Cayman Islands), April 2018–October 2018
- Senior Associate, Mourant (Cayman Islands), 2015-2018
- Associate/Senior Associate, William Fry (Ireland) 2004-2015
- Stagiaire European Commission, Brussels, 2000
- Personal Insolvency Practitioner Certificate, Law Society of Ireland, 2013
- LLM European & Comparative Law, Hons, University of Ireland, Limerick, 1999
- LLB, Hons National University of Ireland, Galway, 1996
- BA in Economics, Sociology and Politics, Hons National University of Ireland, Galway, 1992
- Cayman Islands, Attorney, 2015
- England & Wales, Solicitor (non-practicing), 2010
- Solicitor Admission, Law Society of Ireland, 2004 (not currently practising)