David Cooke is a Director and the former Head of the Corporate department in the Bermuda office of Conyers Dill & Pearman. David joined Conyers in 1994.
David is involved in many areas of corporate and commercial law and has particular expertise in securities work, asset financing and mergers and acquisitions. David advises a number of Bermuda incorporated public companies as well as both borrowers and lenders in a wide range of financings and restructurings. David also advises on partnerships and other commercial structures.
Internationally recognised as a leading lawyer, David has been recommended in a number of legal directories including Chambers Global, IFLR 1000, Legal 500 and Who’s Who Legal.
- Advised Bermuda company, Seadrill Limited and affiliates in connection with the group’s comprehensive restructuring plan seeking to raise US$1.06 billion of new capital.
- Acted as Bermuda counsel to Aecon Concessions, a division of Aecon Construction Group Inc. and wholly owned subsidiary of Aecon Group Inc. in connection with the commercial agreement and financing of the redevelopment of the L. F. Wade International Airport in Bermuda.
- Acted as special Bermuda counsel to The Bank of N.T Butterfield & Son Limited in connection with its US$287.5 million initial public offering on the New York Stock Exchange and subsequent US$349 million secondary offering.
- Provided Bermuda legal advice to Sagior Financial, one of the largest financial services groups in the Caribbean, on the move of its holding company to Bermuda from Barbados.
- Advised leading oil exploration and servicing company Nabors Industries Ltd. (NYSE: NBR) in the announced merger of its completion and production services unit with oilfield services provider C&J Energy Services (NYSE: CJES), for which Nabors received nearly $940 million in cash and shares representing approximately 53% of the resulting Bermuda public company.
- Provided Bermuda legal advice to Xyratex Ltd (NASDAQ: XRTX), a leading provider of data storage technology, in connection with Seagate Technology plc’s (NASDAQ: STX) US$374 million acquisition of Xyratex.
- Advised Global Container Assets 2013 Limited (“GCA”) in connection with the issuance by GCA, of approximately US$250 million Fixed Rate secured Container Equipment Notes to BNP Paribas Securities Corp., as initial purchaser.
- Cambridge University, LLM
- University of Kent, B.A.
- Bermuda Bar, 1989
- Bar of England & Wales, 1987 (not currently practising)
- Recognised in the 2018 edition of Legal 500 Caribbean (banking, finance and capital markets)
- Recognised in the 2018 edition (and since 2010) of IFLR1000 (financial and corporate)
- Recognised in the 2018 edition (and since 2011) of Legal 500 Caribbean (corporate and commercial)
- Recognised in the 2017 edition (and since 2010) of Chambers Global (corporate and finance - Band 1)
- Recognised in the 2015 edition (and since 2011) of Who's Who Legal (corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions)