Conyers Dill & Pearman is at the forefront of the offshore airfinance industry, representing many of the world’s leading airlines and leasing companies on the cross-border aspects of their transactions. Our lawyers advise on the laws of Bermuda, the British Virgin Islands, the Cayman Islands and Mauritius and are globally recognised as leaders in the field of aviation, often advising on the offshore legal aspects of award-winning transactions. Our broad client base includes lenders, leasing companies, international credit agencies and export credit agencies, as well as airline operators.
The combination of Conyers’ structure, culture and expertise, together with a presence in major international business centres enables the highest quality, timely and thorough legal advice. Internationally we have well-established relationships as leading offshore counsel in Russian aviation transactions and are also increasingly active in transactions involving other emerging markets such as Azerbaijan, and South Africa, as well as alternate funding sources such as Islamic finance.
Our lawyers have significant experience advising on all aspects of:
- Cross-border financings
- Structured financings
- Aircraft purchases (including portfolio acquisitions)
- Sales (including portfolio sales) and sale-leasebacks
- Warehouse facilities
- Islamic finance, involving financing, acquisition and leasing of aircraft, including Shari’a-compliant aircraft sales and leaseback arrangements, as well as the issuance of aircraft backed sukuk certificates
- Bond issuances
- Notes offerings
- Advise on all aspects of aircraft and aircraft mortgage registration in Bermuda, BVI, Cayman and Mauritius
GLOBAL PRACTICE HIGHLIGHTS
- Conyers has advised on the offshore law aspects of ground-breaking deals, including acting as both Bermuda and Cayman counsel on the award-winning AerCap Holdings NV acquisition of International Lease Finance Corporation, which AirFinance Journal commented: “no other deal has transformed the aircraft leasing space so completely in the last 12 months”.
- Bermuda remains a choice jurisdiction for air financing deals. Recent highlights include:
- advising Goldman Sachs in connection with Aldus Aviation’s US$540 million asset backed secured term loan. This deal won 2014 Capital Markets Deal of the Year from AirFinance Journal; and
- providing Bermuda law advice to Castlelake in connection with its US$515.6 million aircraft securitization (AirFinance Journal’s 2014 Innovative Deal of the Year).
- Our BVI and Cayman practices continue to experience an increase in aviation finance transactions, in both the commercial and business jet sectors. Conyers acted as BVI counsel for Export Development Canada on EDC loan for four Bombardier Q400, (AirFinance Journal’s 2014 Africa Deal of the Year).
- In Mauritius we remain at the forefront of key aircraft financing matters, in relation to transactions involving African jurisdictions and India.