Peter Ch’ng is a Director in the Corporate Department in the Bermuda office of Conyers Dill & Pearman having joined the firm in 2001.
Peter’s broad practice covers reinsurance and insurance linked securities structures (ILS), mutual and investment funds, segregated accounts companies (SACs), private equity partnerships and investments, structured finance, special purpose vehicles and ownership-remote structures, debt and equity offerings, corporate finance including IPOs and private placements, banking and financial services including financial derivatives, credit and security, and general corporate and commercial matters across multiple borders and jurisdictions
Peter specializes in Bermuda segregated accounts companies, private equity funds and banking and derivatives. Peter guides the firm’s Financial Derivatives practice in Bermuda, the BVI, Cayman and Mauritius in providing netting and collateral enforceability opinions to leading banks and industry organizations such as International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA) , International Capital Markets Association (ICMA) , International Securities Lending Association (ISLA) and the Securities Industry Financial Markets Association (SIFMA). Peter counts many global commercial banks and financial institutions (including The World Bank Group, NASDAQ), public pension funds and US-based global private equity fund managers amongst his long-standing key clients.
Peter is recognised in the 2014 edition of Legal 500 Caribbean (corporate and commercial, insurance/reinsurance) and has been interviewed and cited in 2013 as a legal expert in Bermuda segregated accounts companies by Trading Risk, a leading ILS industry publication.
- Acted for a global investment management firm in respect of the re-domiciliation of a BSX-listed open-ended BVI segregated portfolio professional fund to Bermuda and its share capital restructuring and the preservation of its existing segregated portfolios and registration as an open-ended authorized Bermuda investment fund and as a segregated accounts company under The Segregated Accounts Companies Act 2000. Also advised on the spin-off and migration of a discrete segregated portfolio of the same BVI fund into an standalone Bermuda regulated mutual fund company.
- Acted for The Carlyle Group (NASDAQ: CG) L.P. on its acquisition of the Industrial Packaging Group from Illinois Tool Works (NYSE: ITW), renamed Signode Industrial Group, for US$3.2 billion.
- Acted in the establishment of a Bermuda insurance-linked securities (ILS) investment unit trust fund for Asuka Asset Management Co., Ltd launched in October 2012 targeting the Japanese investment market. And the establishment of its investment manager, Eastpoint Asset Management Limited based in Bermuda.
- Acted for Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking Corporation in its acquisition of The Butterfield Fulcrum Group, a leading independent hedge fund administrator and service provider to the alternative investment industry headquartered in Bermuda.
- Acted for SS&C Technologies Holdings, Inc. in respect of its acquisition of Prime Management Limited, a fund administrator and leading service provider to investment structures, sponsors and managers in the insurance linked securities (ILS) market.
- Acted for Bermuda Community Foundation a local not-for-profit Bermuda company limited by guarantee with charitable philanthropic objects on its conversion to and registration as a segregated accounts company (SAC) under the Segregated Accounts Companies Act, 2000.
- Acted for International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA), International Capital Markets Association (ICMA), International Securities Lending Association (ISLA) and the Securities Industry Financial Markets Association (SIFMA) in preparing industry core validity and enforceability, collateral and netting opinions for Bermuda.
- Acted for leading global private equity fund group specializing in distress debt investment in establishing Bermuda limited partnership fund platforms and special investment vehicles and advising on loan and leverage documentation with their global network of banks and financiers.
- Acted for a leading French bank in the conversion of its Bermuda reinsurance captive to a segregated accounts company (SAC) and advising on the transformation of OTC collateralized macro-longevity swap trades with global life insurers into reinsurance utilizing segregated accounts platform in Bermuda.
- Vice President/Legal Counsel, The Citigroup Private Bank, Asia-Pacific division, Singapore
- Senior Associate, Drew & Napier
- Associate, Allen & Gledhill
- Manchester Business School, University of Manchester, Postgraduate Diploma, Business Administration (Wealth Management), UK, 2009
- National University of Singapore, LLB (Hons), 1993
- Bermuda, Barrister and Attorney, 2003
- New York, Attorney and Counselor at Law, 2001
- England & Wales, Solicitor, 1997 (not currently practising)
- Singapore, Advocate & Solicitor, 1994
- Recognised in the 2015 edition of Legal 500 Caribbean (insurance/reinsurance)
- Recognised in the 2014 edition of Legal 500 Caribbean (corporate and commercial, insurance/reinsurance)
- Cited as a legal expert in Bermuda segregated accounts companies by Trading Risk, a leading ILS industry publication
Deals & Cases